We tried this solenoid at various DC voltages and found we could actuate it down at 6VDC (although it was a little slower to open). Here is the current draw table for various voltages. We suggest a TIP120 or N-Channel power FET with a 1N4001 kickback diode to drive this from a microcontroller pin. For a power supply, a 12V 5A power adapter will do the job.
If you want smaller, more basic valve, we also carry a plastic version which does have a minimum pressure requirement but has much lower power requirements (MCM Part# 28-17449).
- 1/2"" Nominal NPT
- Working Liquid Pressure: 0 Mpa - 1.0 Mpa (140 PSI)
- Working Temperature: -5â„ƒ - 80 â„ƒ
- Actuating voltage: 12VDC (but we found it would work down to 6V)
- Actuating life: â‰¥ 50 million cycles
- Weight: 1.7lbs
- Dimensions: 105mm tall x 55mm wide x 65mm long
- 6V- 1.6 A
- 7V- 1.86 A
- 8V- 2.0 A
- 9V- 2.3 A
- 10V- 2.5 A
- 11V- 2.7 A
- 12V- 3 A
These solenoids are not rated for food safety by any official standards. However, they are made of cast brass, with a rubber gasket made of NBR (Nitrile Rubber) so it can be used with any fluid that will not damage or be damaged by the rubber gasket material.