The BrickPi allows you to connect up to 4 NXT or EV3 Motors and 5 NXT Sensors. It has a 9V battery power source that powers the motors, sensors, and Raspberry Pi, un-tethering the Pi from the wall. Finally, it has a sturdy case with holes that snap with LEGO® parts.
The BrickPi makes robotics with Raspberry Pi simple. The BrickPi combines the hackable computing power of the Raspberry Pi with easy-to-build, modular LEGO®s.
- Connect up to 4 NXT or EV3 motors
- Connect up to 5 NXT sensors, both digital and analog
- Powers the Raspberry Pi. Free your Raspberry Pi from the wall with the power supply of the BrickPi
- Attach your LEGO® Technic bricks to the BrickPi case and make an awesome robot!
- Clock: The microprocessor is run on a 16MHZ clock
- Serial Line: The serial line runs from the Raspberry Pi to the two Arduino chips
- Power: Power is supplied to the entire unit with a 9V battery which drives power to the motors directly
- Power Regulation: The 9V battery is regulated to 5V depending on the model: Advanced power uses a step down regulator, and the basic model uses a switching device voltage regulator. The 5V rail supplies power to the BrickPi micro-controller, Raspberry Pi, sensor ports, and indicator LED's
- Motors: Motors are controlled by the Texas Instruments SN754410
- PWM Control: Supplied by the Arduino, and power is provided directly by the 9V battery
- Sensors: Sensors are powered off the 5V regulator. These can be normal digital sensors or analog sensors, which are read by the micro controller
- Ports: All Ports (sensor and motor) are the Dexter Industries NXT Sockets for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT®
- The BrickPi Board and a sturdy acrylic case for attaching LEGO components, motors, and sensors.
- The Advanced Power option doubles the life of your batteries
Dexter Industries has a custom Raspian image that can be downloaded here
The BrickPi family consists of