Live updates at a glance
Vibrant and beautiful, the Start screen is the first thing you'll see. Each tile on the Start screen is connected to a person, app, website, playlist, or whatever else is important to you. Tiles light up with the latest info, so you're instantly up to date. In one glance, you'll see that photo you were just tagged in, tomorrow’s weather, and messages from your friends.
More about the Start screen
In Windows, even the little things are all about you. Like the screen that appears when your PC is locked—it can be any picture you choose. And you'll see quick notifications on your lock screen before you sign in to your PC or open a single app.
With picture password, you can sign in by tracing a pattern on a picture of your choice instead of typing a password. Zigzag over your dog’s face? Three taps on your child’s nose? The choice is yours.
Work and play
Use Windows 8 for entertainment, work, or both. Chat with a friend while scoping out a map, or play a game while getting stuff done. Go from spreadsheet to video in one swipe, or snap them side-by-side for easy multitasking.
Apps do more
Built-in apps like People, Mail, Photos, and Messaging power you through all your essential tasks and work together for a single, streamlined experience. And there’s a world of new apps to discover in the Windows Store.
Touch and mouse
Windows is perfect for PCs with touchscreens, those that have a mouse and keyboard, and those with both. Whatever kind of PC you choose, you'll discover fast and fluid ways to switch between apps, move things around, and move smoothly from one place to another.
- Pinch and stretch to zoom in and out. Get a global view of everything that's on your screen, and slide back and forth to find what you're looking for.
- Swipe in from the left to switch between recently used apps.
- Swipe in from the right to get back to Start and to other things you do often, like searching, sharing, and changing your settings.
- Swipe in from the bottom to see navigation controls for any app you're in.
You can easily do all these things with a mouse, too.
This is an OEM licensed edition of Windows 8. OEM can only be installed on a single computer, and cannot be reinstalled later on another system. Also, OEM license does not include Microsoft Technical Support.
- Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)
- RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
- Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
Additional requirements to use certain features:
- To use touch, you need a tablet or a monitor that supports multitouch (more info)
- To access the Windows Store and to download and run apps, you need an active Internet connection and a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768
- To snap apps, you need a screen resolution of at least 1366 x 768
- Internet access (ISP fees might apply)
- Secure boot requires firmware that supports UEFI v2.3.1 Errata B and has the Microsoft Windows Certification Authority in the UEFI signature database
- Some games and programs might require a graphics card compatible with DirectX 10 or higher for optimal performance
- Microsoft account required for some features
- Watching DVDs requires separate playback software (more info)
- Windows Media Center license sold separately (more info)
- BitLocker To Go requires a USB flash drive (Windows 8 Pro only)
- BitLocker requires either Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2 or a USB flash drive (Windows 8 Pro only)
- Client Hyper-V requires a 64-bit system with second level address translation (SLAT) capabilities and additional 2 GB of RAM (Windows 8 Pro only)
- A TV tuner is required to play and record live TV in Windows Media Center (Windows 8 Pro Pack and Windows 8 Media Center Pack only)
- Free Internet TV content varies by geography, some content might require additional fees (Windows 8 Pro Pack and Windows 8 Media Center Pack only)
To check if your PC meets these requirements, you can run the Upgrade Assistant
Which Windows is right for you?
||Windows 8 (32 Bit, 64 bit)
||Windows 8 Pro (32 bit, 64 bit)
|Fluid, intuitive, and easy-to-use interface design that you can easily customize.
|Mail, Calendar, Messaging, Photos, SkyDrive, and other apps are built in with many more apps available at Windows Store.
|Includes Internet Explorer 10 for fast, intuitive browsing.
|Touch-enabled so you can interact with Windows in a whole new way. (Requires a PC that supports multitouch.)
|Mouse and keyboard–enabled so you can be as productive as you need to be.
|Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, and Windows Update are included, so you're up to date and more secure.
|Runs programs you used with previous versions of Windows. *
|Provides data protection to help keep your information secure. **
|Enables you to connect to your PC when you're on the go with Remote Desktop Connection.
|Connects to your corporate network with Domain Join.
* Refers to programs built for mouse and keyboard that run in the classic Windows desktop environment.
** Data is protected on Windows RT PCs using Device Encryption, which is based on BitLocker technology. Data is protected on Windows 8 PCs and removable drives using BitLocker and BitLocker To Go.
|MCM Part #:||83-14458|
|Microsoft Part #:||FCQ05920|
|Package Specifications & Dimensions|
Need to Return?
|Extra Shipping Charge:||No|