Introducing Adafruit FONA MiniGSM, a all-in-one cellular phone module that lets you add voice, text, SMS and data to your project in a small mangeable package.
Measuring only 1.75"x1.25" but packs a surprising amount of technology into it's little frame. At the heart is a GSM cellular module (we use the latest SIM800) the size of a postage stamp. This module can do just about everything. This version has an SMA connector. For the uFL version, click here!
- Quad-band 850/900/1800/1900MHz - connect onto any global GSM network with any 2G SIM (in the USA, T-Mobile is suggested)
- Make and receive voice calls using a headset OR an external 8O speaker + electret microphone
- Send and receive SMS messages
- Send and receive GPRS data (TCP/IP, HTTP, etc.)
- Scan and receive FM radio broadcasts (yeah, we don't exactly know why this was included but it works really well)
- PWM/Buzzer vibrational motor control
- AT command interface with "auto baud" detection
Required Accessories for Operation
- Onboard LiPoly battery charging circuitry so you can take your project on the go. Use any 500mAh+ LiPoly or LiIon battery and recharge over the MicroUSB when necessary. Two LEDs let you know when its charging and done
- Standard 4-pole TRRS headphone jack. Use any 'Android' or 'iPhone'-compatible headset with mic
- Breakouts for external 8O speaker and electret mic if you don't want to use a headphone
- Level shifting circuitry so you can run it with 2.8V to 5V logic.
- Vibrational motor (buzzer) driver so you can have noiseless notifications
- SMA connection for external antenna
- Indicator LEDs for power and network connectivity
- Standard SIM slides into the back
Optional Accessories for Operation
- SIM Card! A 2G Mini SIM card is required to do anything on the cellular network. T-Mobile network.reccomended
- Lipoly Battery - MicroUSB cable for charging the battery.
- External Antenna - See below for Antenna options
Fona Family of Products
SMA Right Angle Mini Antenna
SMA Mini Antenna
uFL Slim Sticker Antenna
SMA to uFL Cable
RP-SMA to uFL Cable
- TRRS 4-Pole Headset
- External Mic & Speaker
- Vibrating motor - the FONA can drive this directly, just solder a mini vibrating motor disc in!
- USB console cable - the microUSB connector is for charging only, but you can wire up a console cable for direct-connection to the module if you want to send commands from a terminal (great for testing and tweaking)
|MCM Part #:||28-20020|
|Adafruit Part #:||1963|
|Package Specifications & Dimensions|
Need to Return?
|Extra Shipping Charge:||No|